Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

potassium: regulates blood pressure

Potassium is the third most abundant mineral in our body. It is an electrolyte that carries nutrients into the cell and wastes out of them.
Is potassium important in our diet? Yes of course! I haven't really realized the importance of potassium until recently. I read that potassium is best known for its blood-pressure regulation. This made me sit straight and pay attention. My mother has hypertension. My father had borderline hypertension. I have aunts and uncles with hypertension. So I am preparing myself because it is pretty obvious that I have (+) family history. Plus hypertension is also prevalent in hubs side of the family. (Double whammy for our future kids)
Potassium can be found in most foods that we eat but there are still studies that says that we aren't getting enough of it. So starting today I am making a conscious effort to include potassium-rich foods in our diet.





Related Posts with Thumbnails